Keto Dalgona coffee recipe – Low carb and sugar-free
You’ve probably seen Dalgona coffee all over social media. It’s a South Korean coffee drink that consists of only 3 ingredients (instant coffee, sugar and water). We’re going to show you how to make a low carb Dalgona coffee that is great for keto!
What is Dalgona coffee?
Dalgona coffee is a cold drink that has a velvety smooth coffee foam on top. Kind of like an inverse cappuccino! It gets its name from the South Korean Dalgona (Ppopgi) candy, which is like a toffee sponge (similar to honeycomb).
The drink itself is made of three ingredients:
- Instant coffee – it must be instant in order for it to work.
- Hot water
All you have to do is mix them together and whisk until it is light brown, fluffy and forms stiff peaks. An electric whisk is recommended as doing it by hand can take a long time (5-8 minutes at least)!
Of course, the original version isn’t very keto-friendly, so check out my recipe below for the best keto Dalgona coffee. I’ve adjusted some of the quantities to make the perfect amount for 1 drink.
Keto Dalgona coffee recipe – Low carb and sugar-freeCourse: DrinksCuisine: South KoreanDifficulty: Easy
A South Korean inspired rich, velvety thick coffee made with only four ingredients.
1 tbsp instant coffee
2 tbsp powdered erythritol
2 tbsp hot water
200ml unsweetened almond milk
Ice cubes (optional)
- Boil the kettle and let the water sit for a minute.
- Add the hot water, powdered erythritol and instant coffee to a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric whisk (or by hand), whip the mixture until it is dark brown, fluffy and forms stiff peaks.
- Pour almond milk into large glass and optionally add ice cubes.
- Spoon coffee mixture on top and serve!
- Coffee – it has to be instant in order for it to work. If you prefer a richer tasting coffee then you can add 2 tbsp instead of 1.
- Sweetener – almost any keto-friendly sweetener will work. Check out our recommended list here. Adjust quantity as needed to reach your desired sweetness.
- Nutrition – the bulk of the nutrition comes from the milk you choose. I list this drink as 0-1g carbs, making it perfect for keto.
Best instant coffee to use
I rarely buy instant coffee as I tend to enjoy making coffee with a cafetiere (check out the best methods here).
Luckily, I have some lovely Beanies coffee in my cupboard, so I made this with the Cinder Toffee flavour which tastes amazing! If you don’t have that, any instant coffee will do. Some recommendations include:
Beanies Cinder Toffee
Flavours: Many more flavour options available. Check them out here.
So there you have it, an amazing coffee drink that you can make in under 5 minutes. If you want to make it a hot drink, you could heat the milk in a pan before serving or even use a heated milk frother like this one. You could even add a dash of cinnamon or cocoa powder to add that bit extra flavour!